Friday, September 16, 2011

The Compass is Pointed Due North

Throughout the week each student in my class has worked on creating a personal compass. The four points of the compass, traditionally North, South, East and West, have been replaced with four elements in our lives that are of the utmost importance to us. My compass points are Passion, Love, Faith, and Family.
             Passion is the North of my compass; it guides me every day. The passion that guides me is my passion for my future. After high school I plan on attending a culinary college with the hopes of opening my own bakery that specializes in wedding cakes. I have the ambition, the signs of true talent and above all, I have the passion to want to bake every day for as long as I’m able. For some people baking, or even food on a broader scale, is just something to do, something to eat. For me it’s completely different; Baking and food are my life, there’s no simpler way to put it.

             As for Love, well, that’s my West. Love is something I can absolutely not live without and there are so many different types of love present in my daily life. There’s love from my family, love from my friends, and love from my boyfriend. Also, like I mentioned already, there’s my love for food. Without which, I just wouldn’t be me. But with all this love it’s hard to effectively manage my time so that I may love every one as much as they love me; now, I’m not saying I don’t have time for every one, I just mean I don’t always see the people I love, but I love them anyways.

             The South point is Family. My family has gone through so much in the past four years, good and bad, but we haven’t fallen apart, not yet. Luckily I come from a strong and determined line of people and most of them have the desire and drive to overcome any obstacle that might lie ahead of them. There have been times when I’ve been overwhelmed and ready to just give up everything, but thanks to the help and support of my family I was able to overcome the problems I was having.

             Lastly is my East, my Faith. My faith has become one of the most important things in my life within the past two and a half years. During my sophomore year of high school from October to June, my family lost 5 members within those nine months. Words honestly can’t express how devastating of a time that was. Prior to that I almost loathed religion because I was being forced to believe, I didn’t have a choice. However once I was confirmed Catholic, I stopped attending Catholic services and for the first time in my life I was able to choose what I wanted to believe. I chose to become a self-proclaimed Christian and I haven’t looked back. And I can say, in all honesty, that I have never been happier. So, for the past two years, I’ve been going to my dad’s congregational church and joined the youth group there. Religion is now something I run to instead of something I run from

3 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I love your last sentance! I can connect with that last paragraph. I also feel that all of your values are truly important, and I can tell your passionate about what you do. Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your values. They're extremely original. I like how you use real life examples in why each item is part of your values. I admire that you have turned to religion as an answer. Do you suggest other people do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry to hear about your losses. It’s nice to hear
    that you have found a faith that you are comfortable with. I was also raised as a Catholic and, though I have always been comfortable with it, I saw many people in your positions of being forced to come to church and hating it. I'm happy for you that unlike so many people who have religion forced upon them you have not run away with no intention of ever coming back.

    ReplyDelete